|Posted on 4/14/2012 10:44:32 PM|
Author: Melissa Richmond
This week is National Volunteer Week. It is a great time for us to think about how we can put our talents to use in the community. Here are just a few ways:
1) Run, walk or volunteer in the following events that raise money for worthy causes. Not only will you reach your own healthy goals, but you will help nonprofits in our community reach their goals.
- Saturday, April 28 - Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure - 223 volunteers needed for race day
- Sunday, April 29 - Fr. Ted 10K (5K, 10K, family walk) - Raises money for Upward Bound - volunteers still needed
- Saturday, May 12 - 5K Run for Education - P-H-M Educational Foundation
- Saturday, May 19 - Girls on the Run 5K - Supports GOTR Michiana
- Saturday, May 19 - Ribbon of Hope 5K Run/Walk - Encouragement for cancer patients - Elkhart, IN
- Saturday, June 2 - Sunburst Races - Memorial Children's Hospital
2) Be a mentor.
Get involved as a mentor for Five Star (or another local educational organization for kids). This program helps kids to lead the "five star life," by inspiring them to raise their grades and value, respect, and honor their lives. If you volunteer for a day trip, you could teach a student to fish, ride horses and learn horse safety, learn the skills necessary to complete a service project, or a number of other things. Email them for more information or visit their website www.fivestarlife.org to learn more.
3) Volunteer at St. Vincent De Paul
This organization is reaching out for help. They need help organizing, sorting, and hanging clothes and other items they receive at their Ardmore site. The quicker they are able to process donations the more people they can serve. Call Denise Blanche, volunteer organizer at 574-234-6000 extension 12105.
4) Give Thanks (and maybe a Cruise!)
In honor of National Volunteer Week, Points of Light will be sending one fabulous volunteer on an Alaskan Cruise! Share the story of volunteer you know who is taking action in the community, and if they win, they will be rewarded with an all-expenses paid trip!
Submit your nomination on the Points of Light Facebook page: www.facebook.com/pages/Points-of-Light/ or visit www.rewardvolunteers.coop
5) Honor a loved on who has battled cancer by joining a Relay for Life team
Relay for Life events will be help in may areas surrounding St. Joseph county throughout the next few weeks. The Notre Dame "Fightin' Irish, Fightin' Cancer" Relay will take place April 27-28 beginning at 6 p.m.